• Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is poisonous to dogs as they cannot metabolise this chemical like humans are able to.
  • Theobromine mainly effects a dog’s kidneys, heart, central nervous system and guts.
  • Darker chocolate contains more cocoa therefore more theobromine. Smaller amounts of dark chocolate can be much more serious for your pet.
  • Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include diarrhoea, vomiting which can include blood, hyperactivity, restlessness, muscle tension, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, seizure and incoordination.
  • The effect and symptoms of chocolate poisoning depends on the quantity eaten compared to the size of the dog. If you are in any doubt, please call us and speak to a vet or nurse who will be able to guide your next steps.
  • Below are chocolate calculators which can be a useful to help you find out if your dog has eaten a toxic dose. If you are concerned, it is safest to visit the vets, make your dog sick and give your pet charcoal to absorb any further toxins and potentially a blood test to check their kidneys.

Further reading:

How Much Chocolate Can A Dog Eat? Use Our Calculator To Find Out (vets-now.com)

Calculators: Chocolate Toxicity Calculator – MSD Veterinary Manual (msdvetmanual.com)